588,288 active members*
5,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Taig Twins

Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Taig Twins

I am building from scratch a manual electric drive Taig and a CNC Taig , they will be setup as neighbors or side by side . Here is a picture of my old manual electric servo drive and all the accesories . this unit is almost 20 years old and will be retired by these two units once done

Also posted a picture of my CNC mill doing most of the mods
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03071.jpg   DSC03073.jpg   DSC09363.jpg   DSC03070.jpg  

DSC01350.jpg  

Here is the start of the twins , concentrating on the drive assemblies , 4 new gates V-belts on there way in the mail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01432.jpg   DSC01434.jpg   DSC01456.jpg   DSC01457.jpg  

DSC01458.jpg   DSC01459.jpg  

More work done , Twin A will be the manual electric lathe...the servo motor mounts , drives with anti backlash 32 pitch gear and a machined low profile coupler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01460.jpg   DSC01497.jpg   DSC01499.jpg   DSC01500.jpg  

DSC01502.jpg   DSC01504.jpg  

A few more closeups
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01507.jpg   DSC01508.jpg   DSC01509.jpg   DSC01510.jpg  

Nice setup there. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you.....I am now starting to fabricate the CNC drive assembly

what kind of parts are you making with these? or are planning to?

I run Remote Control boats and try to make as many parts as I can , these lathes will really be for nothing specific , more or less just to help me out with the hobby boating

coupler video
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WI0MIzlHE"]YouTube - Birth of a coupler the sequel[/nomedia]

A boating run
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UJ-fZfbtKQ&feature=fvsr"]YouTube - SNIPER EDMONTON FE RUN[/nomedia]

Mill & Lathe making motor water jacket
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoW7rW_EsjY"]YouTube - Milling cooling jacket[/nomedia]

Very nice work. What motors are you using on the lathes and the mill?

bob

Thank you

The original lathe in post #1 and the CNC mill both have a 2hp ac/dc treadmill motor that uses a variable a/c control for RPM , The mills motor I had the center casing chromed , The a/c controler can be bought on ebay for $20 . The new lathes have a 32 volt dc motor that will take 110ac through a voltage regulator and a rectifier block . I will probably never get close to full power with these since I never have with the old lathe .

The new lathe motors were from a machine at work that was 20 some years old , I completely stripped them down and machined the front and rear face plates and painted the center section black . Apon taking them apart for observation they were extreemly well built and would easily take the task on with ease

Here is where I am now with the CNC twin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01511.jpg   DSC01512.jpg   DSC01514.jpg  

Machined in leadscrew nut , Its a part off of the taig mill along with the leadscrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01516.jpg   DSC01517.jpg   DSC01518.jpg  

Both CNC steppers mounted with leadscrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01424.jpg   DSC01426.jpg   DSC01427.jpg   DSC01429.jpg  

New one - to - one stepper cogged pulleys and new mount made to add further bracing with the help of the headstock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01572.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Zicha View Post
    Thank you

The original lathe in post #1 and the CNC mill both have a 2hp ac/dc treadmill motor that uses a variable a/c control for RPM , The mills motor I had the center casing chromed , The a/c controler can be bought on ebay for $20 . The new lathes have a 32 volt dc motor that will take 110ac through a voltage regulator and a rectifier block . I will probably never get close to full power with these since I never have with the old lathe .

The new lathe motors were from a machine at work that was 20 some years old , I completely stripped them down and machined the front and rear face plates and painted the center section black . Apon taking them apart for observation they were extreemly well built and would easily take the task on with ease

Here is where I am now with the CNC twin
    What was the controller and treadmill motor you use on the mill I have been looking to power up my Taig cnc and have a 130v dc motor but no controller

thanx john

Hello John

this is the controler I use , they are under many catagories on ebay . The motor I got from a surplus store here in Canada called Princess auto .

Variable Speed Controller Hand and Body Wand Vibrator | eBay

Hi Peter,

First off your shop, machines, and parts are absolutely beautiful! The attention to design and detail you put forth is inspiring, and thank you for sharing.

I have been working on a plan for a Taig lathe to CNC conversion and the design that is on the top of the stack right now very much resembles your manual electric configuration. In the interest of keeping this project's complexity and cost down I have been exploring the possibilities of utilizing the installed rack and pinion gear assembly for this CNC conversion. Since you happen to have both a lead screw and gear driven configuration I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on this. I have to admit thought I'm not familiar with a manual electric setup. What is the basis for driving the machine? Is it a CNC capable machine strictly run with MDI, or is there another means of controlling it?

Thanks,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Zicha View Post
    Hello John

this is the controler I use , they are under many catagories on ebay . The motor I got from a surplus store here in Canada called Princess auto .

Variable Speed Controller Hand and Body Wand Vibrator | eBay
    Thanx for that Peter
    I will be looking at gwtting one after Xmas

john

wow those are awesome! do you have any updates?? I would love to hear more about your lathes man, fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by MynamesKenny19 View Post
    wow those are awesome! do you have any updates?? I would love to hear more about your lathes man, fantastic!
    Thanks Kenny

I just posted yesterday so thats about as far as I have got with these , there is one more little item I need to do and that is a front and rear rubber squeegee system for the carriage as no bits of metal go under the carriage and table . works great on my manual Taig .

I am writing the G-code to do couplers like in this video . the input shaft holes I will do manually but the coupler bodies will be done with the CNC units .
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WI0MIzlHE"]Birth of a coupler the sequel - YouTube[/ame]

I think the rubber would work better than mine, I use a piece of leather, it works pretty well but it could be better. On your leadscrew, which screw do you use, the one for the 2018 mill with stock x axis or the 2019 mill with the 12" X travel?
    I like how you mounted your leadscrew, barely did anything to the carriage. Genius! :banana:

Page 1 of 2 12