588,166 active members*
4,806 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > EdgeCAM Users ?
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

EdgeCAM Users ?

Are there any EdgeCAM users out there?

I Have Been Useng Edgecam For About 5 Years
    Do You Have Any Questions

Hi,

Our company has been using EC for about five years. I just started learning within the last six months. Looking for another user within this group to share ideas with. I am a member of the Yahoo EC group also. Not much chatter about EC anywhere on the Net.

We have V9.75. I am on an upward learning curve with the software. There is not much time for learning what the software can do verses getting programs out to the floor in time.

Looking to get a rotary post output smoothed out. Do you have any pointers?

Thanks you,

Wayne

actually i am also in the process of creating a 4th axis post processor. it sounds like you are further along thn i am.
    i am totaly self taught. i have had to figure out alot of things the real hard way... but now i know my way around the program (2.5-d mill)so well that my distributer was trying to get me to help with sales-- but i like makin chips to much!!!
    what do you use for drawing(cad)?

We are using the design portion of EdgeCAM.

What Machine/4th Axis Are You Useing --im On A Haas And My Post Processor(work In Process)is For A Rotary Table

haas 4 axis postprocessor

Hi I have also been working on a post processor for Haas vf`s all working well
    Used everyday in producing part for Formula 1

4th axis HAAS, Cincinnati, and two Mazak mills with a 5th axis.

Anyone using the tool library? Do you like it?

R u using Strategy Manager?

Any other PCI (automation routines)?

(EC user of 8 years)
    Scott_bob

edgecam user

Hi, just joined group, finding my way around. Based in UK using edgecam and solidworks with cincinatti acramatic 2100 control systems, working on 4th axis postprocessor looking for any tips

i am trying to figure out stratagy manager ---is it beter than pci or vice versa.. does anyone have any pcis they might share!!!
    any pointers on the stratagy manager or pci would be very very appreciated as i am self taught (we cant afford to go to a training deal)
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

Happy to join.

I have a question concerning EdgeCAM. I produce a file in Catia V4 and send to our toolroom to have an aluminum template made of a piece of glass. When I receive the template back it is always larger thatn the original file I sent, but nor consistantly large it varies. I send the same file to our CMM to have the template CMM'ed and the results show the same deviations. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem could be? I send the same file out to an outside toolmaker and the template I receive back is well within the limits I am expecting to see. We have had out Mill checked and calibrated but still I get the same results. I am thinking maybe some setup parameter in EdgeCAM.
    Any and all help will be appreciated.
    admv4

What Type Of Deviation Are We Talking About .0001 Or .1....... In Any Case It Would Be Prudent To Dimension The Model Before Laying Down Toolpaths
    And For That Matter Have Everyone Who Uses The Model Do The Same.
    Edgecam (or Any Other Cam Software) Machines Whatever You Tell It To, Regardless Of Size, Or Deviations From Design Intent. If Your Post Produces Uniformly Diffrent Parts Then Check Your Model Or Anything Else Relevant To Its Scale ...but If You Are Having Deviations In Certain Areas There Is A Multitude Of Reasons Why Anything From Dull Tools To Running The Feedrates On Your Machine Too Fast.

helix77
    I am talking about the template being cut large anywhere from .1 to .6mm. This has not always been the case. We had an upgrade to V10 and had the mill cailbrated, it was cutting bad. Before the calibration the templates were cut small but now I am told it is good. Before the upgrade I used to send a Catia V4 file to the tool room, since the upgrade EdgeCAM drops some geometry from the Catia V4 file. Since this has started happening I now send a DXF file. I send the same file in IGES format to an outside vendor and the template I receive back is within .1mm all the way around. This template I have made here is made out of 1/8" aluminum, The vendor uses 1/4" to 1/2" aluminum and a better grade. The template is a profile of a piece of automotive glass such as a front door window flat. I was wondering if there is some sort of setup parameter that would cause this such as maybe tool diameter or maybe something to do with the units, mm verses inch. Or maybe the tool path itself not being setup right. I have taken the class for programming about 5 or so years ago but don't remember everything about it. I am not the person who programs or operates the mill, but because the file comes from me it appears to be my problem.
    Thanks
    admv4

there are a whole host of things that could be wrong.. i doubt very much that edgecam would be giveing the wrong toolpath being that its so easy...and there is no one parameter that is going to help in edgecam (exept scaleing).
    since you have recently changed the machine calibration you might start their.
    -are you useing any type of cutter compensation on the machine?
    -being that the material is so thin are you getting any type of chatter
    -how fast are you feeding (the machines control might not be calculating fast enough if it is older)
    - are you taking finish passes
    -is your tool dull
    -how are you programing (automated or manually calling tools and picing geometry)
    -(once again) is your deviation uniform all the way around the part , or just in certain areas.
    -if you run the exact same part with the exact same program is the part still the same
    -i would have you email me your ppf but i dont have v10 yet
    if you still have questions email me and ill give you my phone number(i talk alot faster than i type) [email protected]

I think If the templates deviation vary within the part it's very strange. But If you have say 0.2 to large all the way around you template. I belive that the edgecam opperator is the man to blame. Maybe forgotten something like deleting the offset. Last offset used is default value here. (se picture) Or not updated diameter on tool. I have imported many IGES files and never had problems that the edgecam part deviate compared to the original IGES part. ( But I have exired that the result after machining deviate and unfortunately 99% of time I have my self to blame)

Have used edgecam last two years. Think it's a great program. Use Proengineer as CAD. And Use IGES from Proengineer to Edgecam. Have made post for Fagor 8055 and Emco F1P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails offset.jpg  

Hi can anyone tell me how to stop edgecam from ramping when using a rough surface operation? Also I don't seem to be able to edit the cutter paths inititial plung point.

Paul,

I don't know why you would want to but:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails no ramp.JPG  
    Scott_bob

plunge

Thanks for that.

I wanted to start the cutter outside the stock area, high feed down to depth and then start cutting.

Page 1 of 2 12