588,169 active members*
4,397 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Ordering Haas VF2-SS on West Coast
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Ordering Haas VF2-SS on West Coast

I am in the process of ordering a VF2-SS (new).:
    Super Speed 30" x 16" x 20" (762 x 406 x 508mm) (xyz), 30-hp (22.4kw) 12,000 rpm, inline direct drive, 24 tool high speed side-mount tool changer, 1400 ipm (35.5m/min) rapids, USB port, 1MB, rigid tapping, 55 gallon (208 liter) flood coolant system.

I have added the following options to the standard machine:
    AAG1 - Auto Air Gun
    CC - Chip Auger
    HSM - High-Speed Machining with Look-Ahead

Any thoughts on the following options/accessories:
    Visual Quick Code Probing System
    Programmable Coolant Nozzle
    Early power failure detection module.

Additionally, I will be getting a Phase Perfect DPC30, Rotary Screw Compressor, and an Air Dryer.
    On the issues of compressers and Air dryers, any suggestions on brands and vendors?

Thanks,
    TKBuisan

TK,
    Nice set up.

On the VQC, any new machine comes with 200 hours free trial, same with HSM which will likely be needed if doing a lot of 3D work. I would not purchase it until you see you will be using it then it just needs turned on.

On the Programmable nozzle I would think that would be a real help if you desire not to baby sit each cut.

I do not know how about the early detection power failure mode option or cost but first impressions seem like a very little needed option. I guess it may be like insurance, could come in mighty handy.

Wow 55 gal, my TM-1 is 5 Gal

Ken

HSM and VQC

The Sales Rep stated that the 200 Hr Usage for HSM, etc before having to pay is no longer the case.
    The VQC by itself is not needed, but I am interested in the probing system, but am not sure of the *real world* useability and reliability.
    TKBuisan.

The Sales Rep stated that the 200 Hr Usage for HSM, etc before having to pay is no longer the case
    Those cheap skates, that does not surprise me at all, perhaps it is because their options are so inexpensive

Often wondered the "real World" use of a probe myself.
    Perhaps if doing a lot of reverse engineering but for touch off very doubtful. I hope others that do use them share some input here.

Ken

We use probes on daily basis, and it is great, if you have small quantities. Tools and part zeroes are measured in few minutes.

Ken,
    Thanks. I'm in navigating the what I want vs. what I need minefield. The order should be put in next week.
    TKBuisan.

For compressor see this thread:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30462

The post by Nervis...that is the carrot here.

Also get the memory upgrade. 1MB is not enough..especialy with High speed look ahead..you will be Glad you did..

And definitely get programmable coolant.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Programmable Coolant and Memory

I might go for the memory, but I am not sure about the Programmable Coolant.
    The reason I skipped the memory was that I had planned on keeping a computer next to the machine. $995 buys alot of computer and disk space.
    As for the programmable coolant, I've not seen many machines w/ said, nor have I heard any need.
    I am not against learning something new. :-)
    TKBuisan

I just want to add that the HSM trial does not work on my 2 month old VF2, even though they include a stupid "free trial" card that tells you to try it out for 200 hours free. Jerks. Oh, and I chose not to get the programmable coolant, as it seems to always have problems on the VF4's that my other employer has, so I just added a couple fan spray nozzles, and they work great!

I have a VF-2 with Programmable Coolant and Probing, would'nt think of ordering another one without thoses options.

Al

i have that same machine you are getting
    the progamable coolant is a must 24 tools thats alot of standing next to the machine ajusting the flood coolant
    the probing system is nice but you can live with out for the first year
    hsm is a nice option but you dont need it for alluminum works butter in steel
    and you can buy it later in an upgrade
    the earlie power failure is a must on the west coast lots of power problems in places(i dont know were you shop is)you will go through tools if you dont get this the spindle drops at power down and if the power goes out, 10 hours into a mold that is not a good thing but this can be added after you get the machine.
    remember get what you need to get started then get this extras the only thing you cant add on later with that machine your getting is tsc must be factory installed
    and a ingersal rand comressor would do the shop nice

24 Tools

Yeah, it makes sense to have programmable coolant. I can skip the HSM from the get go and add it on later. The Programmable Coolant is less expensive, and seems that I would have more immediate use. I will mostly be machining aluminum and plastics (hopefully in that order).

Tool Holders

I am looking at the options for tool holders. Wondering what kind and how many. I've been at shops that have a gang of tool holders... but I'm starting up and would like to get a "start up" perspective on tooling requirements. What type of tool holder do you use and why?
    Thanks,
    TKBuisan

tooling

with the vf2ss or any of the ss or high speed spindles you need to get holder speed rated for the rpm of the spindle you have or are getting. the higher the rpm rating means more money but if you dont get the right tool hollder it may not happen right away but your spindle will do bad things and wont last long.a stanard balanced er collet style would be fine. remember buy rated tools for the fastest spindle you have then you can use them in all of your machines with a ct40.

Quote Originally Posted by TKBuisan View Post
    I am looking at the options for tool holders. Wondering what kind and how many. I've been at shops that have a gang of tool holders... but I'm starting up and would like to get a "start up" perspective on tooling requirements. What type of tool holder do you use and why?
    Thanks,
    TKBuisan
    try LYNDEX they make the best holders out there
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Axis:
    Thanks for the info. I've looked at the Valenite and Parlec's offerings. Any other manufacturer's and vendors?
    TKBuisan

Try GS tooling by Sowa. Supposed to be balanced to 20,000 rpms from the factory. I am going to order a couple to try myself

I have a VF-2ss going to be set on my floor today, but it is only for one job year round so i have know use for the prog. coolnt or the prob. but if i was doing alot of differnt jobs i would say get the prob. and the coolnt.
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Probing and Coolant

Probing is great! U can use it to measure interpolated bores, and adjust your D-comp to keep you in spec.(make sure your tech can read macros!!!)

Programmable coolant is a must!!!!! Unless you like reaching into the machine after most tool changes.

Probing is good too if you are running multiple machines, as you can run tool breakage detection to alert you when drils, and taps snap off, before yuo go and try to mill the HSS or Carbide, if you aren't around the machine.

HSM isn't just for molds and surfacing, as soon as you start ramping up feed rates this comes into play, otherwise you will start rounding corners. This effect can be quite extreme even on pricey Japanese machines. If you are gonna be pushing the 100ipm relm of feeds,(which you should be with an SS machine, I'd recommend it)
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

My tool supply house is pushing Ingersol(sp?) as she can get me a *good* pricing. Any feedback on Ingersol?

Page 1 of 2 12