587,997 active members*
2,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Hermes Vanguard 7200 Engraving machine
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Hermes Vanguard 7200 Engraving machine

I have aquired a Hermes Vanguard 7200 Engraving machine.. Doing a quick search I cannot find much info on it. Does anyone know of a source for manual and such?

thanks
    sam

New Hermes

Try this www.engravers journal.com or go right to Hermes.

Thank you.. Have not decided what I want to do with this..

I plugged it in - and it homed - then smoked (not a big deal - fixable but I would rather use emc2 to control it..)
    http://www.electronicsam.com/images/engraver/drive.JPG
    http://www.electronicsam.com/images/engraver/rip.JPG

I hooked a parker microstepping drive up to one of the axis's and ran it thru emc2.. Worked great and zipped it around at 120ipm with no issues. I used 1000steps per rev and the lead screw was 4 thread per inch which gives .00025.
    http://www.electronicsam.com/images/...r/engraver.JPG

they are only 1.5a 5v 6wire steppers - I hooked up just one of each coil running bipolar.

its work envelope is 20"X12"X2.25" - nice size.

sam

got 3 parker/compumotor drives hooked up the the existing steppers. So far so good.

Crappy picture of my foot
    that was zipping around at 60ipm.

here is a quick video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKz81fY1OjY

sam

Quote Originally Posted by samco View Post
    I have aquired a Hermes Vanguard 7200 Engraving machine.. Doing a quick search I cannot find much info on it. Does anyone know of a source for manual and such?

thanks
    sam
    I just got a Vanguard 7000 with the same problem. Looking for info on the command set. It seems to use either serial or parrallel so I'm guessing it may be something like HPGL. If you hear anything please let me know and I'll do the same...
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomtexas View Post
    I just got a Vanguard 7000 with the same problem. Looking for info on the command set. It seems to use either serial or parrallel so I'm guessing it may be something like HPGL. If you hear anything please let me know and I'll do the same...
    Tom
    Hey Tom,
    I am new here also and I see no one answered your request for help on new hermes 7000as of today.
    I also just bought a 7000 to do some watch engraving. Have you figured out how to get your machine working. I bought the program Open Sys from gravograph but it is a dos program and there is no way to use it without training. The training from them is outragous and time to enroll is min 4 months. I think their motive is selling the new $5000program or a new machine Beats me.

Honestly.. I would just get some stepping drives and run it with emc or mach.. The new gecko 4 axis 3.5a drives would be a great match.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51083

That would allow you to use real cad/cam software to develope your parts.

I sold mine on ebay a few months back. (I am in greater need of a garage)

sam

This was using emc2
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Og6V-nS2dig"]YouTube - EMC2 running Hermes engraver making PCB[/ame]
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=a_OUNLruaVQ"]YouTube - EMC2 running hermes 450ipm 50in/s/s doublefreq[/ame]
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hdhn_j6PrCw"]YouTube - emc2 dry run of the 3d_chips test program (linuxcnc penguin)[/ame]

Thanks for even replying to me. This forum is so large I am a bit overwhelmed just by the site, Not to mention that I know nothing about these machines. I am a retired Autobody Shop owner and somewhat Ill. This machine is to complement my hobby (Watches) I want to engrave on new dials. My machine will run on new style software and the machine was working fine when bid on by the guy I bought it from. Graveograph sells a program that runs this baby right away, but it is $5000.00 I will sell the machine before paying that much to see it chip away. It will take the code through a parallel cable. I don't think I can wire in new stepper motors unless I saw someone else doing it. This animal is really not anything I have even touched before. This is why I was looking for a friendly person with a Vanguard 7000EP that is working and on what software. I know this machine will work when set up right. At the auction where it came from a couple of finefellows lifted the computer with software and this is the problem. No guys in sight now!!
    Thanks for your suggestion and help,
    Phil

drivers

I have done some reading on these machines.

They will should run using the HPGL drivers, just like a printer doing graphics.

You should be able to just load the windows drivers for HPGL and go.

I have an older machine the 3400 but the EP controller had problems. (the motherboard CMOS battery had corroded and damaged the motherboard)

I tossed it and rewired the motor driver board directly to the printer port.
    Now I run the machine directly from my computer using MACH3.
    I just finished figuring out the limitswitches last night and got them configured also so I can do homing. If anyone needs the schematic I built for doing this rewiring let me know and I can email it to you.

Arnie

Hermes Vanguard 5000

Quote Originally Posted by samco View Post
    Honestly.. I would just get some stepping drives and run it with emc or mach.. The new gecko 4 axis 3.5a drives would be a great match.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51083

That would allow you to use real cad/cam software to develope your parts.

I sold mine on ebay a few months back. (I am in greater need of a garage)

sam

This was using emc2
    YouTube - EMC2 running Hermes engraver making PCB
    YouTube - EMC2 running hermes 450ipm 50in/s/s doublefreq
    YouTube - emc2 dry run of the 3d_chips test program (linuxcnc penguin)

Hey everyone,

I just acquired a Vanguard 5000 machine and am tinkering with getting it running. I know nothing about the machine itself, besides what I have read here about similar machines. It has a type of DOS based box that seems to be the motor control, but I really don't know too much more about it. I would like to do small machining and nameplates with it, but have to play with it first. ANY input is greatly appreciated.

ben

Hey Stan,
    I have just bought a Vanguard 7000 EP. It had no computer or software at all because someone lifted it after the auction. I got the DOS program from Gravograph $125.00 but it is junk unless you are trained on it. I could not get anything out of the machine until I loaded a HPGL\2plotter driver from windows and it now will turn the bit drive and come forward to the limit switch and stop.Then the panel on the front reads "unknown code".

Do you have the computer that goes with your machine as was it suppose to work? If you just want to rewire the machine anyway there are tons of guys here to help. I think some of them break things so they can fix them again. Just kidding. I sent a you a crappy pic of the panel on mine. I'll be interested in what you do.
    Phil

vanguard 8000

I'm leaning towards a Cambell Designs breakout board, and MACH3 software. There is a knob on the front of my unit for speed control. It seems to work just fine.

I'm thinking that I will just add the breakout box and tap into the DB25 connector to run the X, Y, and Z. I'm going to try to get it running so I can cut phenalic tags for my electrical panel shop first.

I'll try to post some pictures of my unit later.

If anyone has it available I would really appreciate a pinout diagram of the DB-25 connector on the rear of the machine.

Thanks,
    Stan

hello. just found a few printed copies , hermes nhi810 manuals,. i also purchased a vanguard 7200 new hermes machine, need a manual for it, any sug..?

I need copy of NHI810 manual

Quote Originally Posted by vanguard2008 View Post
    hello. just found a few printed copies , hermes nhi810 manuals,. i also purchased a vanguard 7200 new hermes machine, need a manual for it, any sug..?
    vanguard2008

Sent you a PM regarding the NHI810 manual - I need a copy if you have one for sale.

Orin

i would really like to have that schematic, I have a new hermes vanguard 7000.....I modified the spindle to take a wood flooring wireless router....would like to run g value but would rather cut straight from corel 12........I have no inscribing application with device....but I observed you could run it straight from corel for 2d cuts? is this audio reasonable?. . .
    http://www.surfersrentacar.com.au/

Re: Hermes Vanguard 7200 Engraving machine

Did anyone ever end up having a breakout schematic for the 7000 machine? I ended up with one and figure I'd either interface it parallel to the existing stepper drivers my self or replace the drivers with a gecko 540 or perhaps dynomotion snap amp setup if I could not otherwise determin how to directly interface parallel port pulses to the exsiting drivers. As I read some where it suggests you could get away with that.

thanks.

b.

Can you run Gravostyle 98 on a win 7 computer?

Quote Originally Posted by gary967 View Post
    Can you run Gravostyle 98 on a win 7 computer?

No, Gravostyle 98 is not compatible with win 7. You can only use it on a PC with serial port with Win 98, XP, Vista.
    I have used Gravostyle software, the higher version for Win 7, 8, 10.
    Let me know if you are interested.

Page 1 of 2 12