587,466 active members*
3,368 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 8 45678
    Quote Originally Posted by IN-WondeR View Post
    I am as you suspect using NPN sensors for the machine. But as you also suspect, then they will only be activated when passing over a piece of metal in the ends, and not the way that they are mounted on the MM, where they are active until the holes in the ends of the axis...
    I use the same sensors the same way for cnc lathe index pulse, they works just fine.

Pablo
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

Quote Originally Posted by myousry View Post
    i meant the yellow ones not the black one
    The Yellow ones are the shielding from my motor cables...

Quote Originally Posted by IN-WondeR View Post
    The Yellow ones are the shielding from my motor cables...
    sorry for bothering but why did you attach them to the body of your machine ? are you going to connect them to earth ?

No worries...

It's the same setup as last time, and it ran smooth and with no problems, so I'm hoping the same will happen this time. I'm just using the things I know works for me.
    And yes, they will be connected to earth, it worked extremely well last time, so I'm hoping it still works perfectly this time also.

Well guys. After a few hours of work today, there was a bit of life in the machine... Got it powered up and everything worked as a charm... Well, ( after a little hickup) Got a phase wire mounted wrong so pop went the fuse, moved it around and everything powered up as it should. Motors went HOLD, and the Gantry was nearby impossible to move at all, so I'm sure that the power of this machine is enormous. I weigh around 105kg, and couldn't move the gantry at all... But then again, with around 64Nm holding torque on the gantry, then there's no way I'm going to be able to move when engaged.

Tomorrow I will start it up and try to move the gantry with the computer. Still need to figure out how to get my LPT cable through the Cabinet without having to cut a large hole in it, I hope I find a way, but I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Well my friends... The First test run have been done. Only used a Mach3 Wizard to make it move as I did not have the tabletop fixed yet, and I also need the other 22mm MDF plate on top of the bottom one, so I will have something to cut a Vacuum table from..

But enjoy this first test run, there might be tweaked a bit over the next few days. Right now the motors are running 8 microsteps on the X and Y axis, I might tweak things a bit more...

First run of the Computer.. - YouTube

YES!! Now thats what Im talkin 'bout!! Great job IN-WondeR, now get that thing tweaked and cutting something ol boy!!

Awesome build!

Congratulations! This is one terrific looking machine. It qualifies as an Epic Build.
    Cheers!

Absolutely fabulous well done Kim, the video says it all……definitely one of the best builds here…..thanks for sharing

You said you earlier you started back at school, a lot of the top priced CAD/CAM vendors sell their software for up to a tenth of the price to students and even for ‘mature’ students like us ha I know I availed of the offer as money is scarce and jeez Autodesk allows you download Inventor for FREE if you’re a student.
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Absolutely fabulous well done Kim, the video says it all……definitely one of the best builds here…..thanks for sharing

You said you earlier you started back at school, a lot of the top priced CAD/CAM vendors sell their software for up to a tenth of the price to students and even for ‘mature’ students like us ha I know I availed of the offer as money is scarce and jeez Autodesk allows you download Inventor for FREE if you’re a student.
    Yeah, CAD software is a pricy piece of ****, but as you also say, Autodesk Products can be aquired for free for a period of 3 years, so that would be the least of my problems. We do however also work in Solidworks, this I would love to get cheap, but for now I'll have to use a networked version I have been fortunate to be able to get access to...

And thank you by the way, I'm very happy with the end result, I still need to make the top shield for the Y wagon, but it will come at some time soon. Need to get some 1.5mm steel for it first...then I'll get it put together and painted and mounted. Also need to make some metal shields for the Connections on the sides of the gantry to eliminate any possible noise from the wires at those places... But for now, it's road worthy and ready to go after the last bit of tweaking is done...

Awesome build! Runs very smooth, can't wait to see some parts cut.

There are many ways to get good 3D CAD software, it's the 3D CAM software that will nip ya' in the butt!

It runs very smooth, only a bit on the y that makes a funny noise, I think I need to rearrange the rack a little bit... Other than that, no problems at all...

I'm looking for a rack and pinion system for my cnc build. What size did you use and where did you get the rack and pinion system and how much did you pay for it.
    Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    .........There are many ways to get good 3D CAD software, it's the 3D CAM software that will nip ya' in the butt!
    yeah...pity they don't offer CAM at student discounts too even for us 'mature' students (isn't mature a much nicer word than old or older)
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    yeah...pity they don't offer CAM at student discounts too even for us 'mature' students (isn't mature a much nicer word than old or older)
    You can get DeskProto CAM at "student" or "hobby" price, no age limit which is Euro 248 or 25% of the commercial users price. Pretty good for full 3D model machining including 4 and 5-axis and Bitmap carving but not so useful for vector based 2-D work. 30-day fully functional trial is free.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    You can get DeskProto CAM at "student" or "hobby" price, no age limit which is Euro 248 or 25% of the commercial users price. Pretty good for full 3D model machining including 4 and 5-axis and Bitmap carving but not so useful for vector based 2-D work. 30-day fully functional trial is free.
    I believe DeskProto DOES do some very basic 2D profiling. It seems to be a very good software for the price...

The strengths of a good 3D CAM package sometimes can be the Achilles heel. Now I find myself spending more time with different toolpath strategies for roughing and finishing, trying to shave another minute or so from the run time...

How Much?

Are you willing to disclose the estimated cost of your finished machine?

BTW: No fuses are visible in your photo of the electronics cabinet. Did you install any?

The cost is around $10.000..

And yes, theres a fuse on the mains power... I'm pushing 400V so I have a 4phase Fuse installed.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    Thanks for the link jerryburks....I use Rhino4.0CAD and RhinoCAM2.0 3Axis only....and will have to pay approx €700 I think to the vendor for the Rhino 4th Axis....... but the DeskProto multi axis beats the RhinoCAM hands down and looks like a seriously good product thanks for the link

and IN-WondeR keep the pics flowing.........
    Eoin

Page 6 of 8 45678