588,548 active members*
5,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

selecting a first laser cutter

Hi all –

I’ve been a lurker/reader for a while now, but decided to ask register to seek advice from the forum about buying a first laser. I’ll start this by saying that I’ve read through many such similar threads already on the forum – I hope I don’t rile folks up for asking a question that’s already been asked again. My rationale for asking again is that I may hear some additional voices, and that it gives me the opportunity to get feedback on my particular circumstances.

I’m looking into buying my first laser cutter/engraver. It would be primarily used for light manufacturing, though I’m certain I’d come up with all sorts of hobby uses for it as well. It’d likely be run around 10 to 20 hours per week, primarily cutting and engraving 3mm MDF models. While I know my way around a computer well enough, I don’t have anywhere near the know-how (or time) required to build a machine, or even to deal with a very fiddly machine. I’d like to be able to hit the ground running fairly quickly.

Given my intended applications, I’m thinking something in the 60 watt range with a 24 x 12 or so bed. From what I’ve read here and elsewhere, there seem to be 3 types of machines, each with their own advantages and disadvantages:

Full Service US Lasers – (Epilog, Universal, etc) The most expensive of the lot, but reliable, high quality, quality and great service.

US-Distrbuted Chinese lasers (Hurricane, Full Spectrum) Mid-priced. Same lasers as below, but presumably better access to service (and financial recourse should things go wrong).

Chinese Lasers – Dirt cheap price, questionable quality, no local service, etc. Seem to potentially require some tweaking to get running right.

Am I mischaracterizing things? Am I missing any other info I should consider? Are there specific features I should be considering? I reckon I’ll go to the manufacturers with more specific questions later, but wanted to go to the larger community for advice first.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jim

Hi, James,

I have written a private message to you. Please check!

If you have interest to import directly from China. Our machine will be a good start as what you have read from the forum. Your work for MDF is easy to our machine. And we also have good aftersales service.

Melody
    [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 55400753.jpg   54377657.jpg  

A chinese laser regardless of source is likely to require a bit of mirror alingment before you start to use it. Shipping can cause alignment to go out a bit.

If you can afford a US laser, great. If not but you want easy access to after sales service then a Chinese laser from a US distributor is probably your best option. The markup you pay on the laser is for that service and peace of mind. I buy directly from China but that is mainly because I don't need to make money from my laser. Some downtime will not affect me. Because the price is lower directly from the factory I include some spares when I buy.

Buying A Laser?

Just a few thoughts

best wishes

Dave

Perfect! Very helpful, thanks!

So it seems like my gross categorization of the three options may be fairly accurate. My thinking going into this was the middle ground, as the ability to get more laser for the money is attractive, and I'm not certain I have the time to devote to extensive troubleshooting without solid support.

Am I correct in thinking that 60 watts should be fine for cutting and engraving 3mm MDF? Would more laser buy me less time, or does there come a point where speed maxes out for a given material?

@Melody - Thanks for the note. When I get to the point that I'm interested in talking to manufacturers, I'll be sure to keep Weike in mind. Y'all were already on my radar were I to decide to import.

Much obliged,
    Jim

or does there come a point where speed maxes out for a given material?
    Hiya Jim,

Power Options?

Yup, the law of diminishing returns is applied very well to lasers bit like cars really, A $1,000 car will do 100 mph reliably, you want to go 150 then the price goes up, you want to do 200 mph then the price rises exponentially. Nothing in the laws of physics limits energy levels that can be resonated into a laser beam, the laws of practicality however do.

60 watts for cutting and engraving is good, 80 watts would be better but is the realistic top limit of engraving tubes. (I'm sure there will be a few posts saying how they can engrave with 6,000,000 watt tubes or LHC powered lasers )

best wishes

Dave

Cheers, thanks for that - good to know that 80 watts is a reasonable top limit for engraving.

My current leaning is toward a US-based Distributor/Refitter of a Chinese laser. The two such companies that I've heard of that fit into that category are Hurricane and Full Spectrum. Are there others that I should have my eye on?

My personal recommendation for a US based laser would be Ray Scott and the rabbit brand.

I have had two machines that are made by the makers of the Rabbit machines (just rebranded under a UK name) and both have been very reliable and easy to maintain.

Ray is also a really nice guy and very helpful.

I also hear good things about hurricane however I cannot recommend FSE simply due to the practices of it's staff. The product may well be very good I just don't like the operators attitude to customer problems.

best wishes

Dave

Can also check with legacy lasers
    TK McKnight
    800 Series 60W from www.legacylasers.com

I'd definitely recommend going with the "full service US laser", since you say this will be used for manufacturing.
    The Chinese lasers are okay for hobby use, but doubtful for regular production.
    I've used most of the big names: Epilog, Universal, Gravograph - they are all very reliable, often running three shifts a day, six days a week.

60 watt would definitely be nice, but 35 or 40 would suffice for 3mm, and that will usually get you into a lower price point machine.