To make a three week odyssey to nowhere as brief as possible I seem to have an intermittent relay on my 2006 TM-1P. The Renishaw OMI (this is the unit with the cable to the back cabinet) would not turn on when commanded to. I reloaded the Renishaw VCC software and even purchased a new board for the OMI for $475.00. Still no joy.

There are little green terminal blocks sitting above each of the relays, ( M21 through 25) into one of them the signal wires from the Renishaw OMI are attached. These are removable and connect to the board by pressing them onto three very small pins. In desperation I removed the little green terminal block, shot it full of electronics contact cleaner and pushed it on and off the pins several times. That fixed the problem for a couple of days but it's intermittent again today.

The relays are now soldered to the board, under the assumption I guess, that their failure rate is matched by that of the other components on the board. This is extending a lot more credit to mechanical devices than the electronics industry used to do. A replacement board is $1,200.00.

Has anyone else had problems with relays becoming intermittent?
Has anyone else tried to solder in a replacement relay?
Any other suggestions besides buy a new board?
Do you disagree with the diagnosis?

The machine has less than 400 spindle hours so I would not consider this a normal wear and tear issue.

Vern