Re: DX32 hard drive (DOM Flash thumb drive) replacement procedures. (WIP)

Hello all!

Machine:
1996 BP Discovery 308
DX32
Upgraded to flat monitor and standard keyboard.

Background, all my backup files and software were lost during a flood AND then while making new backups my HD went…can you believe that? After many hours using all types of recovery software I did manage to recover BMDCPRM.SYS. I could not find a LEADCOMP.DAT Hopefully BMDCPRM.SYS works. I can read it as a text file, and it’s actually legible.

So, I am trying to get this process straight (WIP) and maybe in doing so, we create a procedure others can benefit from.

Step one: DO NOT FORMAT DISK!!! Ok, some of you may have those old 3.5in floppies handing around (I Did) as you’re backup. Depending on different factors W7, XP, etc. may give you an error when trying to read them. The MBR (master boot record) on these older disk is not recognized by “modern” windows OS. Note: I am no PC expert, so please forgive my errors and correct them. Anyway, there are a couple of good free software packages that can read these disks on W7, XP. (I hate Vista, so I don’t even speak the name, LOL.) Search the web for software recovery, file recovery, etc. Just search the errors you are getting. It took a long time but the recovery was easy. I successfully used PC Inspector File Recovery, free download and ran on W764. Read disk via a 3.5inch to USB device.

2: Find your BMDCPRM.SYS file, from what I have learned so far, that is the one you really need. That is the one that is unique to your machine. The same applies for LEADCOMP.DAT if you have one. I don’t. Ok, now save those files to at least TWO different storage devices in different locations. For example on your local drive and then a thumb or jump drive which you should store off site. Now with your files safely tucked away, let’s move on.

3: Find a suitable Flash type drive or DOM (Disk On Module). I used all these terms so others can find this post via search. For the purposes of this post, Flash, DOM, thumb drive, etc. they are all the same. There are basically two types of storage in the PC world, solid state and mechanical. We want solid state, or at least I do, no moving parts. Go to places like microcenter, newegg, and amazon to find your new drive. Search “IDE” because IDE is used so little these days most of what you find being sold at these large retailers are things like adapters, cable, IDE-flash (just what you want). I found several quality options in less than a minute. Unless you care about appearance don’t worry about style. Even if it looks like it won’t fit (physically) your MB (motherboard) don’t worry. You will just use the IDE cable that used to go to the original HD and if the new drive has a metal chassis ground it to the pc chassis with a proper ground strap. Cable tie the new drive into a neat spot and you will be set.

OK, so this is where I’m at.
I have my BMDCPRM.SYS file.
I have my new DOM, Flash, or SSD drive.
My machine already has an upgraded or standard keyboard. (You may need to temporally plug in a standard keyboard.)

I need:
What version of DOS? I am searching… don’t yell at me…LOL
DX32 software.
I have some files I recovered from my disks, but I am not sure what is what. Can someone please tell me what .exe or other files I should be looking for in order to install the DX32 software on my new drive?

I need help moving forward and I will be working on the next step. I believe the next step is formatting this new SSD with DOS. (Solid State Drive, yes your thumb drive and Scan Disk cards are SSD. However, the term SSD is usually reserved for drive intended to run a OS on a modern PC. Much faster read write times then a flash drive via USB, but you get the idea. Flash = Solid State, basically.) I am a younger guy, never used DOS. LOL

Just a thought… when are forums going to install a “intended content” box or option for key words in a post? Something enabling the author to input key words they feel are relevant to the post. (No offense, this site rocks!!) This post will probably rank high in search results if you search SSD, flash, and a few other words. But that is wrong. It should rank high for “hard drive replacement” that is the subject, at least for these older BP machines, discussed in this forum. Can you believe when I search “DOS” with in this forum (Bridgeport and Hardinge Mills ) I get “Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.” Can you believe that??? Try it! Update, I just noticed the tags option below post. Glad to see it there, now how do we get people to use it….
Thanks,
CD