Hi all,

I am starting work on a precision CNC milling machine with a effective work area of 16"x11"x5" (xyz) . The machine should be able to cur aluminum and soft steel (light cuts)

It will be made from high precision parts I have scavenged from obsolete machines on an electronics smd assembly line: pick-and-place, glue dispenser, etc. I have many parts but the main ones I will use for this project can be seen in this first video of a series documenting my progress on this project:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coJQdbMnYUc"]cnc1.mov - YouTube[/ame]

As you will see, the xyz axis are made from linear rails , ball bearings and ball screws. There is an existing large and heavy cast iron support for the x axis.

After reading the long epoxy-granite thread on CNCZone, I think this is the way to go to join all these parts into a working precision machine.

As you will see in the video, my main challenge is that the various parts need to be assembled onto a base that is offset in height, I cannot just pour a single flat slab.

One option would be to do it in 3 steps, first pour a flat slab, as flat and level as possible. Then pour the 3 offset surfaces in a second step and then position all components with leveling screws and shims and then fill the gaps under the rails and x axis cast iron support with Moglice.

Let me know what you think!

Patrick Robin