Hi There Chuck.. many thanks for your supprtive and appreciative comments.. I hope the ebook is of some elp.. let me know if you have any problems with any of it....

JM

This is how I got it working....

Step 1..

Having identified the blender version as 2.48 I installed a known working version of 2.48 using a method I found online... with a google search based on "run blender from anywhere without /blend"

I tried running this after install to check it worked.... and it did...

Step 2..

I extracted Pildonovak's build over the top of this working version.. tried running.. it failed...

Step 3..

I ran "ldd blender" from the terminal... to identify the files required but not present....

this gives the list below.. as well as listing a lot of other files that are present btw....

libgettextlib-0.17.so => not found
libopenal.so.1 => not found
libHalf.so.6 => not found
libIlmImf.so.6 => not found
libIex.so.6 => not found
libImath.so.6 => not found

Step 4...

I did google search for the packages containing these files.. or replacements / updates for them... was some 'symbolic linking' required to point at a couple of them.. after I'd found the last of these.. away it went....

hope this helps....

Yet another FREEBIE from cnc4free.org .. and just to point out.. I could have said NOTHING about this when the ad's popped up... and let people be drawn in to investing $54.00 to find out they need to COMPILE a windows version to get it working... may be I should have....

Hope it helps

Danny