587,999 active members*
1,963 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Need a Little Guidance

Hey all,

Been a lurker of the zone for quite some time, having always wanted to build a CNC machine, some days getting close to a purchase, but never quite, made the leap. I have a few different versions of David Solsylva plans, and think I am ready to take the plunge, just have a few questions.

I want to utilize a CNC machine for things such as guitar building (never even played one, just think it will be fun to build), RC helicopter, car, and boat parts and boat hulls, signage, and just plain old hobby fun. Obviously due to the need to create RC parts I would like the option to route aluminum (small depth passes of course), as well as various woods, maybe some carbon fibers, and definitely foams.

My question is whether the Solsylva palns are right for me, I know they are capable of all of these things, but I keep pondering the idea of creating an aluminum CNC router instead, so I am back and forth between the Solsylva and Fine Line Automation, CNCRP, and now even KRM Robotics, or Joes Hybrid. I by no means want to bash one brand and compare it to another; I am just looking for the best suited option.

I do not have a huge selection of tools (yet!!!), so the build process must be simple and straight forward. My budget is quite flexible, but I do intend on using CNCRP G540 kit, a bosh router, super pid, etc. Quite flexible meaning the $2500 + range is fine (whatever it takes to get the project done).

Unfortunately, I do have a size constraint. I would like to build a CNC router and house it in a 10x8 vinyl shed, and to maximize as much as space as possible, I want to build the CNC machine inside of a desk enclosure, with pc on the side, so that I can use the top surface for a work space. (See attached pictures).

Basically just want a little guidance, making sure I will be making the right decision. I think something I will enjoy is building a CNC machine myself (with plans) then going back and re-designing it to make it better and more suited to my tasks. Also would like to know if anyone has any cons of me building the CNC machine inside of this desk enclosure?

Desk enclosure details include, inside height of 35.5 inches, width of 44 inches, and a length of 65 inches (can be extended for bigger machine). The top surface will be made from plexiglass and mounted on gas springs, to allow easy access to the machined part, as well as the front will be made of plexiglass and be able to slide up (like a window). I included other features like an area for my pc and cnc controller equipment, as well as a bunch of holes underneath, and on the sides for easy routing of cables. Pictures 1 & 2 show just the cnc table enclosure and pictures 3 &4 show how I am going to try and incorporate it all in an 10x8 shed.

(I am aware that Joes Hybrid, and CNCRP kit is too big, but I figure I can resize the machines) Housed inside of the desk is the Solsylva 25x25 (modified to be a 25 x 36 inch) which I modeled myself (quite proud of that). The maximum size CNC machine I wouldn’t mind putting in this shed-shop would be a 24x48 inch.

Anyhoo, see attached pictures, and please give me some feedback:

Thank you guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Desk Assembly 1.jpg   CNC Desk Assembly 2.jpg   Duramax Woodbridge Shed 10 x 8 Layout.jpg   Duramax Woodbridge Shed 10 x 8 Layout 2.jpg