588,487 active members*
5,156 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Open Source CNC Machine Designs > Building a cnc router with an old printer and an old scanner

Threaded View

Building a cnc router with an old printer and an old scanner

hi all,
    i just started building my own cnc router, i used an old epson inkjet printer the structure and the limit switches and motors, the cartridge charriot is perfect to hold a dremel or other. The printer structure is mounted on the moving part of an HP scanner. the Z axis is still under construction, but i plan to use the paper drive motor. This assembly gives me a working area of an A4 paper or +/- (200mm on 300mm).

I'm now trying to find the specs of my motors. i think the paper drive one is a 48 steps, didn't look at the others for now. From the PCB of the printer suppose they were driven with 42V, as those tracks are marked on the PCB and goes near two completly same group of components that seam to be the drivers, and ends to the two connectors. I added a picture of it.

I plan to use a pic to buffer gcode from the PC and transmit them to related subpic(s). As in the futher i maybe will extend the machine(vacuum,display,toolchange,axis). For now the master unit sends pre-defined commands to hosts. One of the hosts is the axis motor controller, i used a recycled 16F876. the master is for now also a 16F876. in a pic simulation software the calibration or home-run procedure works perfectly but i dunno how to build this out...

I miss a part between the pic and the four wires of the motor. with a multimeter i got a little 9 Ohms between wire 1 and 3 and bewteen 2 and 4. I suppose this are my coils. but i'm missing some knowledge about that, i found some shemes on th net but hey are for 5 or 6 wire motors and i don't see how to adapt them. Could anyone help me with that... On the other hand i will have to look for opensource G-Code software. anyone has clues on that one maybe?

Regards

Sorry for that broken english i have..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pcb2.gif   pcb3.jpg   motor z 48 steps.jpg