Trying to adjust the speed/feed/SFM on a Smithy Talon 1315 machining heat treated cast aluminum rods. I turning them down to 1." and 1.125" diameter for the two sizes required. Coolant set on flood. I am cutting them into .170 thick plugs for welding. I'm using, don't know the part number, a .07 wide squared cut off tool.The machine maxes out at 3000-3500rpm. I started off with Max 1500rpms SFM 200 and F.003. this was perfect.

In the beginning it was evacuating with small chips. ideally what I was hoping for. Now I'm getting long ribbons and it's wrapping around the coolant nozzle and moving during operation. Before leaving I played with the settings from what I read on this forum and others. The thin blade holder is flexing if I increase rpms and/or feedrate. I've already replaced the insert twice after 500pcs+.

Before leaving I finally settled on 1358rpms SFM 100 and F.001. this has created very short spirals which is fine and good chip evacuation. I have 20 years machining and milling 'green' or 'soft' carbide so I am making the transition over to conventional materials since Kennametal…..Kennabilized my old job.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.