Hi,

I have been looking for a ball screw source from which to purchase new ball screws for my first X2 mill conversion. Ideally I would like to purchase screws which have machined ends (type II) in either 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch diameter, .200 inch pitch. I have collected a few catalogs from places like Roton, Mac-Master Carr and a couple others but it appears that none of them have standard machined ends available. Where have you folks purchased ball screws from? Are rolled screws from one manufacture better or worst than those from another?

I don't want to just purchase a conversion kit being that would take the fun out of the whole project. Besides I have already collected everything I need except for the ballscrew assembly.

Recently I picked up a 7x10 mini-lathe but am not sure if it would be ridgid enough to work with hardened steel. If one were to aneal the shaft end would the 7x10 have a chance at success? Also I could build a grinder attachment but that would be a fair amount of extra work. I am guessing there is only one shot at getting it right or else go broke learning... Thanks for any assistance.

Robert