Hi everyone,

I'm designing a bearing support for a vertical shaft, but being more electronics / electric background I lack the mechanical knowledge, so I thought I'd ask on the most mechanical oriented forum on the web

The shaft is 25mm dia with two bearings, angular contact double row on the top - preloaded with a lock nut from the top, resting on a circlip - and a ball bearing 90mm lower as the 'floating' non-locating bearing. The fit for both bearings will be K5 or K6 (found different info from different sources), which is an interference fit. I was planning to mount a taperlock bush and puller in between the bearings (closer to the bottom ball bearing), but only just realised (duh) that due to the interference fit that might be rather tricky, especially as I was planning to keep the shaft at 25mm throughout to limit the amount of machining and it's effect on run-out. Assuming I keep the design as it is, with 25mm on the whole shaft, is it possible to use interference fit for the bearings and still fit the 25mm bore bush / pulley in between, after freezing the shaft and heating up the taperlock bush?

Regards,
Tom