588,578 active members*
12,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

3rd CNC ROUTER BUILD time to get serious.

Well I’ve made a start on my third build. I have plans to build a CNC wood router which will be use to cut Plywood, MDF and Plastics; defiantly NO Aluminium. Cutting area of around 850mm X, 850mm Y and 75mm Z.

This will be used in a light commercial environment. It is not going to be used 8hrs per day and 5day a week; More likely 10 hrs a week.

Basically I’m not going to use commercial available linear ways or ball screws. As I feel these would be an unnecessary extravagance for a wood router working to a tolerance of +/- 0.1mm and this will only be really utilised for plastics.

First question, will it be ok for me to talk in millimetres? For now I will continue and hope this is ok as I am likely to make mistakes with conversions.

I’m looking for cutting speeds of around 1000mm to 2000mm/Min

Rapid speeds to be worked out, any recommendations?

Obviously I could go out and buy a second hand machine but to be absolutely honest I would rather build and also I don’t have a bottomless pocket. Having built two other machines I now have the bug big time and see this as a recreation rather than a chore.

Now you’re all probably thinking Aluminium but no. I am planning being a wood man to build using a hardwood multiply reinforced with steel where needed.

Before you all go to avoid boredom I will add a picture. This is my Y axis test set up. Basically it is two pipes with a torsion box from 12mm ply and skinned with hard board. I will not be using this in my machine it is for test purposes only and will be scrapped after testing. The torsion box was cut using my other small cnc router. You may be able to see my bearing arrangement I will elaborate soon on these.

More to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yaxistest.jpg