Ok, I'll keep this short and sweet, I'm building a gantry style mill/router. I've become concerned about the noise that is going to be generated by a router style head. I don't want the neighbour's or the wife complaining.. and I too.. would like to sleep through the night w/ out the noise of a router screaming away for hr's on end. I did some searching on here and read much about how quiet a VFD style drive is. I've heard an VFD in operation and it was nearly silent. However it wasn't milling anything at the time.. just the motor turning. I'm interested in setting up a VFD and spindle on my gantry, however I don't want a HUGE wart on the side of my z axis. I hope to advance to a 5 axis head design at some point and don't want to have a huge motor and spindle etc all mounted the the B/C axis of the mill. Anyone done a decently compact VFD and spindle which can generate some router like [ 10k] rpm's in at least 1.5+hp. I don't mind spending some cash on it if it's what I need. A good quality router is several hundred $$ anyway so.. double or triple that and I get a great VFD that is software controled and I'm a VERY happy camper.. I'm asking for the moon you say?? Their's no point is shooting for less is there??