I was inspired a little over a year ago to make some chess pieces when I came across some posts of people that had done it here on the forum. When I tried to design them however, I quickly got discouraged and tinkered with it for a few months and finally gave up. The recent posts on the subject got me interested again and by chance I fell on an easy solution to designing the pieces.

I use Turbo CAD/CAM and realized I could use simple vertical lines of varying heights to represent the apex of each contour on the piece and then use the Spline by Fit Points. Playing with this was quick and easy and allowed me to experiment until I got the basic shape.

Still working on a Knight which will require turning and milling but hope to get something going here in the next few weeks. I did forget to cut the crown properly on the Queen before I parted it off from turning but I will try and make a jig for the dividing head and complete that on the mill later.

I used a Grizzly G0602 I CNC'd recently with a 0.125" cutter I ground up from drill rod and hardened.

Best Regards.

Carl