I have caught the bug...

I actually read about a CNC build on another site and eventually stumbled across cnczone - I've caught the
bug and feel the need to build I'm a programmer by trade so this will be something of a departure from
what I have done before - should be a lot of fun

Current Phase: Planning

I am planning a fairly stock standard JGRO for my first CNC. The only departures from the plans will be
adapting for metric materials (i.e. 18mm MDF) and where components are proving difficult to source in
Australia. The current phase is researching materials and availability, this is actually proving difficult
in the limited market we have over here.

On the up side, Australia deals in both Metric and Imperial measures with the imperial components usually
being considerably cheaper. So with the exception of the MDF I shouldn't encounter any problems there.

This will be a budget job, so I expect it will take many months to get all the bits I need.

One thought was to use aluminium plate for the adjustment blocks - cost is a prohibitive factor there as few
seem willing to supply small amounts of plate. I may resort to wielding these up out of 1"x1/2" steel boxing
as this seems to be the weakest part of the system.

Supplier
Component
Approx Cost

Bunnings (i.e. hardware house)
MDF 18mm 1600x1200 sheet - AU$64 (*2=$128)
All-Thread Rod 45"* 5/16-18 - AU$ 8 (*2=$16)
Aluminium Angle Extrusion - AU$5 ($5)
Screws/Bolts/Glue - AU$50 ($50)

Miniature Bearings INc
Roller Blade Bearings (pkt 10)- AU$14 (*3=$42)
Delrin/HDPE Rod 25*300 ($14)
Flanged Bearings $20 ($20)

Oatley Electronics
CNC PC Interface (K142A) AU$27 ($27)
Stepper Motor Controller (K142B) AU$25 (*3=$75)
Constant Current Power Supply (K142C) AU$29 (*3=$87)

Southern Steel Cash and Carry
Black Pipe (1" and 3/4" - no stock on 1/2") AU$??

TBA
======================
Stepper Motors (what size for a standard JGRO?)
Power Supply (30v)
Acme all-thread instead of the above.

There's probably a lot more to add here...

Cheers
Jason.

EDITS

1. Changed all-thread type based on recommendations. though I will go the Acme if I can find it. Also updated component list.