I am doing a simple cutting of a .25 deep grid using a .25 cutter. I am doing a 2d profiling operation. When I select the "On Curve" Curve Side under the "Direction" tab in madcam the safe clearance is not above the material top. When I select either left or right of the curve the safe clearance works out fine and is above the material top.

Thoughts?

Attachment 248948

so my question is... how do I cut along a line "on the line". This is a simple vacuum table top configuration. The material is .75" thick. The cut is .25" deep along each line. Up to this point I always cut left or right of a line dong similar cuts with a line and never thought that the on curve would be different.

Attachment 248956

I read the article and it was interesting but did not directly help my situation. But thanks. This is what I have tried since to try to figure this out.

An example of the simulator when I change "curve side".

From left to right

The first two lines were two distinct profile operations (1 layer) with "on Curve". You can see it cuts nice.
The next two is one profile operation with "Right / outside". You can see it cuts nice.
The next two lines is one profile operation with "on curve". You can see that when the cutter traverses to the next line to the right it does not move up the Z and removes material during the traverse.

Any ideas? There are 23 lines in both directions so I was hoping to just do three layers (Profile operations). 1 for horizontal lines, 1 for vertical and 1 for the profile around the part.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grid Exmple.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	248998