Hello All,

Thought I would start a thread of my first router build. I have converted 2 mills before and have 4 machines in total. Bridgeport, X2 Mill, Jet Mill, and Emco Maximat Super11 Lathe.

This router is something I designed and am building for my brother-in-law. He will be helping with the controls of the machine.

The machine was initially designed to be all 80/20 and a reasonable priced build. Well, after my wife bugging me to clean the garage and get rid of some stuff, I decided to contribute everything I have scavenged to build a VMC (Vertical Milling Center). This will never really happen so I mind as well make the wife happy. After all, A happy wife = Happy Life.

Anyways, down to the details.

The machine will be used with alot of different materials. Lots of wood, and aluminum. But also plastics and fiberglass.

The original goal is 4x3 ft working area, With the frame and gantry being all 80/20. The base frame is all 2040 with 2020 legs. The gantry beam would be 3060 with some reinforcement.

Attachment 249272

Well after agreeing to clean some stuff out of the garage, the machine has changed a bit and building it with my contributions have proceeded.

The rails that will be on the machine are IKO LWHD35 with 2 blocks per rail. For both the X and Y. The 35mm rails are HUGE! I was reading a datasheet that the dynamic load of each block was 10k lbs! The screws for all 3 axes will be precision ground screws that I acquired for free like the rest of the equipment. The X screw is a double nut preloaded setup with precision end bearings. This screw has 46" of total usable travel. The Y screw is from the same machine and has about 32" of usable travel. If I dont use this screw for the Y, I have another ground screw that is a bit longer, getting closer to the desired 36" Y travel. It all depends on how big the saddle assembly ends up being.

The Z will be built on either 20 or most likely 25mm IKO rails as well, With another ground screw for it. The head will be a pneumatic counter weight setup and use a spindle that I paid $530 for. It is a cartridge spindle rebuilt from a VMC. It uses a BT30 tool and has the whole spring loaded draw bar assembly. I Just need to add a pneumatic cylinder for actuating the drawbar.

So, By now, Im sure your saying that this equipment is way overkill for an 80/20 machine, and I would agree with you. But, I have more free stuff, that will make this one of the best budget built machines ever.

I happen to have a fabricated I beam, that the original 35mm rails mounted to. This will be cut the long way, and used to reinforce the 80/20 down each side, and provide a ground surface for the rails to bolt to. This will straighten the whole frame and create a nice rigid base. The remaining pieces of the beams will be used as metal stock for building the gantry uprights as well as reinforcements. The only material I think that is needed to purchase is a plate for the face of the gantry beam.

Thats it for now, I will leave you pictures of current progress.

FULL PHOTO ALBUM: https://plus.google.com/photos/10488...MqUjuz78pPbpgE

Next Time: Controls and Electronics

Enjoy!

-Adam

First 80/20 Supply:
Attachment 249274

Cleaning the X Ballscrew:
Attachment 249276

Frame Assembly:
Attachment 249278

Feet Installed:
Attachment 249280

Leveled with initial 35mm rails installed: (These are different rails. Dual V roller rails. I only have 3 blocks )
Attachment 249282

X Screw Drive End Mount:
Attachment 249284

Attachment 249286

X Screw Half mounted:
Attachment 249288