Quote Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
Thank you drac, It's really a mute point about the Z axis. I'm going to run the 4200 stepper on the Z axis without any counter weight. The guy I'm modeling the machine after has run his for almost 3 years with no issues so I'm going to give it a shot. His machine runs smooth, fast and solid. I hate to be a copy cat but reinventing the wheel is not always the best solution. I'm making some changes to the design as far as belt drive X and Y to give me more room without the motors sticking out the ends of the axis. One motor under the machine for the Y and one motor parallel in front of the X axis on the right side. If I was left handed it would be on the left side. All the axis will have 4 pole double throw switches so they can be shut off the X and Y at will for doing hand jogging and resetting easy and quickly. I will also have a rotary switch, pulse controller and jog button so I can use the machine quickly and easily without turning on mach 3 or a computer. That will be a big plus for doing quickies so I can move the head. Waiting for parts at the moment, Hate that part.
My computer is up and running Linuxcnc within a minute, hand jogging with the MPG would be no time at all. But as they say "Different strokes for different folks". Although in an emergency the hand wheels are not a bad choice.