The manual talks about putting subroutines in a separate file and there is a folder named Subroutines in the directory. Questions: since subs have to be defined ahead of the program, how do they need to be declared if they are in a separate file? Do the subroutines need to be in the same folder as the program, or does Path Pilot automatically look in the Subroutine folder?

I use subroutines in most programs, but have never had a machine set up for macros. Is calling a sub from another folder the same as a macro? I do production runs of engraving. When a program is set, it may run 500 to 2000 parts. There are sets of about 25 characters on each part and from run to run, some changes with part numbers, revisions, etc mean that there is occasional reprogramming. This has always meant going back to CAD and generating the Gcode for each run. I use 0 thru 9 and about 10 letters in the engravings. I'm thinking that I can do the Gcode subroutine for each character referenced to origin, then just do a G52X~Y~ and a sub call for each character. Once the programming is done the first time, any changes would be to simply change the character call.