That I should be negotiating for on my interview tommorow.

The engineer at the manufacturing plant is looking for somebody with experience designing in Solid Edge. They have incoming designs that need to be done up in Solid Edge, (me), from which they move to Solid Cast as a parasolid, and then to MC to get a toolpath post.

My understanding is that they have a chinese fellow working for them, nothing against chinese people, but the guy isn't generating a lot of great feedback and I think they have far more work than the guy can handle for Solid Edge.

My experience includes:

- 4 years of AutoCAD
- A year of using Mastercam, pretty proficient designing stuff in it and can also easily enough generate posts. Can design different types of surfaces, and extrude/cut solids but I could use more practice in it.
- Being a former video game designer, I used to use a variety of software programs to develop 3d models for games. Not only that but I wrote scripters and import/export converter tools for ASCII format files.

The engineer tested me out a week or two ago, putting me on a PC with Solid Edge when I'd never used it before. He wanted to see how fast I'd pick it up and be able to design a complex part. I finished most of the part in less than 5 hours, there were some mathematical errors in his revised design, and I had a hard time with some of the more advanced Solid Edge commands for making patterns and aligning a certain part on a crazy surface normal.

How much should I be asking, per hour?

oh, btw. I also am now completing a 1 year course certifying me to setup and program CNC machines. In fact that's why I'm there, for hands-on work experience.

Thanks!

edit: the guy has already decided to hire me, this is only a formal interview to negotiate salary based on experience/ past jobs I guess.