Hi there,

I need to upgrade the spindle motor on my X1 mill to get a higher speed along with more power. I am aiming for a top speed of around 20000 RPM (only 10 times the standard speed... ). The reason for the high speed, is that I want to do some grinding work.

What I was thinking about doing was getting some stainless/ceramic hybrid bearings for the spindle which are rated up to 24000 RPM using grease for lubrication. This would allow me to use an almost standard spindle, which would be helpful (although I may need to do some balancing???). I was then thinking about using a router motor to power it. Most of the routers that I have looked at have a no-load speed of around 30000 RPM. I was thinking that I could use a belt drive from the motor to the spindle. This would allow me to reduce the speed slightly and would also eliminate potential alignment problems.

Does anyone have any useful comments or suggestions on this 'plan'? What power rating would be good for this small machine? I have my eye on a 550W router, but would more power be a better idea?

Thanks in advance
Warren