Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
Yes, I have used moly grease as well. But there are risks with moly grease which need some care.

Under some conditions with moly grease the balls in ball races slide rather than roll, and can get flat spots or wear out.
Too much grease in a ball or roller bearing can cause over-heating due to grease churn.
If MoS2 gets too hot it can oxidise to MoO2, which is NOT a lubricant!!! (It can be an abrasive in fact.)
Moly can also cause increased corrosion at metal joints (I forget why).

So moly grease is good for slow-speed sliding surfaces, but not so good for rotating bearings. I am not sure moly grease would be good for a high-speed HD.
I would suggest you do some research on molybdenum disulphide, & how it is used, start with the Rocol products/ Castrol products these are just two manufactures that use molybdenum disulphide in there everyday industrial products

Some spec's for molybdenum disulphide paste you can find on the Rocol page

Prevents galling, pick-up and seizure
Resistant to high loads (up to 7,000 kg/cm2)
Excellent wear resistance
Ideal for applications where a totally dry film lubricant is required
Temperature range -50ºC to +450ºC

It's mostly used for assembly of parts, & is never used in bearings, although it could be if mixed with the right grease if needed, there are many types of quality grease for bearings, it just depends how much you want to pay,but this is a different subject, the grease that erosnicolau was using is perfect for breaking in something new like his prototype drive