588,232 active members*
4,585 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Adding a coolant pump to my new lathe

Threaded View

Cool Adding a coolant pump to my new lathe

Now this is extreeme!

I wanted to add a coolant pump to my new lathe, so I drilled a 1" dia hole in the center of the chip pan! Then I placed a 5-gallon bucket with a "Little Giant" pump in it under the hole. But when I turned on the pump and let it flood the machinery, i noticed it was puddling in the ends, and not in the middle by the hole!

So I looked at it and scratched my head for a few minutes, then I reached into the bottom drawer of my tool chest, and grabbed my 3-ton Armstrong screw jacks! My idea was to bend the pan so the fluid will run to the middlle and out the hole!

I grabbed a 3/4" block of aluminum, and a 5/8" open end wrench, then proceeded to scratch my knuckels while positioning the jacks under the lathe bed and the aluminum block! This was extreem to to sa the least! I would never have thought I would be bending the chip pan while the lathe was attached!

When I realized the idea was working, I repositioned the jacks to various places along the center of the pan, creating a valley which tapered toward the hole!

When finished, I grabbed my level and re-checked the lathe bed, and it was still dead nuts! :cheers:

Another day in the life of a Widgitmaster! (chair)

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0683.JPG   000_0684.JPG   000_0685.JPG   000_0686.JPG  

000_0687.JPG   000_0688.JPG