Boy, while the concepts of setting feed rates and cutter speeds are straightforward enough, actually nailing down the numbers to program into the bobcam tools is a surprisingly murky matter involving a myriad of inter-related factors that are inconsistently used across CAM tools and in how to guides. It makes me wonder if I'm doing it right and wanting to get a single documented process in place. It seems most materials and cutters have been around long enough for a standard table to have been generated for at least a starting point with fine tuning for faster production once milling begins.

Can someone check my process here and/or suggest a tool or table that supports wood and plastics?

My V24 (yes I know I'm far down rev but I'm not a production shop) tools allows assigning
Z Plunge Feed/Small Tool sf ft/min and in/tooth per material type for

End Mill Rough
End Mill Finish

XY traverse Feed / Large Tool sf ft/min and in/tooth per material type for

End Mill Rough
End Mill Finish

The BOBCAM software then calculates the feed rates and spindle speeds for the operation being performed. What is confusing is that I specify/calculate these feed rates and spindle speeds so I can calculate the sf and in/tooth factors but the feed rates and spindle speeds calculated by the BOBCAM tool do not match as if they are being adjusted by the BOBCAM tool on a per operation basis.

Getting to these numbers I've had to hop around finding calculating tools and formulas on various web sites and documents. Not finding a cohesive process and calculation tools makes me wary of the results I'm calculating.

Here are the steps I've followed:
1. Determine the appropriate chip load for the material being cut (currently hardwood plywood):
Chiploads | Feeds and Speeds | Metal | Plastic | Composite | | Documents
Apache Tomcat/6.0.44 - Error report

2. Determine the Feed Rate
Using a formula found in this document:
http://www.shopbottools.com/files/SB...%2011%2003.pdf

Feed Rate (IPM) = RPM x # of cutting edges x Chip Load

3. Calculate the In/tooth using the calculators from either of these web sites
Speeds and Feeds Calculator
https://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-milling.htm

This is all just to get a starting point to get on to the Shopbot CNC router. I expect once I cut a few test cuts I'll have to adjust the feed rate and spindle speed to optimize the chip size so I can get the smoothest finished edge