588,582 active members*
12,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Re: Tormach lathe disassembled for move

Not to get too far off the subject, but speaking of switches, I just had to replace the floating head switch on my plasma cutter. I have known for awhile now that the switch that was on there was way sloppy.
    I estimate is has actuated a couple hundred thousand times since I installed it though. It does that on every pierce cut. It was a cheap Chinese ($5) switch though, so it has surpassed my expectations. The other three switches on the machine see nowhere near that kind of use. Only used for homing, so probably less than 1000 cycles for those.

I replaced it with a same form factor switch from Mcmaster Carr. About $25.00 and it is a Honeywell brand.
    I gotta say that thing is pretty accurate. The slop on the old switch varied quite a bit, but was as much as about .05". Terrible when the proper cut height is .02".
    This new switch seems to be repeatable to less than .001" so far. I think most of that is in the ball screw I use on Z.
    My conclusion is that this is a decent switch.

Mcmaster Carr has higher priced switches too, but I am not sure they work better. I think they are just better protected against moisture for wet applications.
    The one I have is pretty water resistant. It has tight fitting grommet and a rubber cover gasket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7988kc1l.png  
    Lee