I've had my 1100 mill for long enough now (arrived last November), that I am making making production parts and am fairly happy with the results.
Now that my first parts a looking close to where I want them to be, I am working to improve the overall accuracy of the parts. Carefully rechecking tool offsets, etc has improved DOC innacuracies, but I am now trying to figure out why X & Y cuts are not precise as they should be.
So, today, I started with a test blank that had been milled flat in all directions. I measured the X & Y thickness (using my Mitutoyo calipers):
X=1.3805", Y=1.3790"
Next I mounted the blank in my vise, and installed my Haimer 3d Taster in the spindle. I used the Haimer to sense the left side of the blank, and set the "X" DRO in PathPilot to "0".
Now I used the Haimer to sense the right side of the part. At this point, the DRO should have read 1.3805", or close to it. Instead, the DRO reads 1.3427". - that's almost 40 thou off!
I have tried resetting everything & rechecking my measurements numerous times, and I still get the same result. I get very similar results in the "Y" direction as well.
I checked the measurements using a different set of calipers, and got nearly identical readings, so it's either the Haimer, or the mill DROs or I'm just doing something wrong (entirely possible).
Any ideas what could be causing the discrepancies?
Thanks
Gerry Kmack
Cave Creek Woodworks
Pagosa Springs CO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk