Quote Originally Posted by 1hander View Post
hey ///

im sure others could answer better s this is my first build... but just to get the mill axis moving ..

mill
cnc conversion kit
control box
P/C to run the control box
if i remember correctly the above three things only will get you into the 3500.00 range ... that may be a bit low.. and does not include any software or tooling of any kind..
with all the xtra junk ive been adding ... i really think im over the 5000.00 mark... im just going off the top of my head ... and ive been penny pinching everywhere i can...

pretty cheap when you consider the next thing up for me would be a tormach pcnc setup and that will get into the 15k range in a hearbeat... im happy with everything so far except the Y axis travel... its not enough for me...but im working on a plan for that... adding the 4th axis will be next though... i really need to learn and be able to make my own gears...

please dont forget..that even though the lower price makes it attractive.... it is tons and tons of research.....work...trial and error sometimes... more work and research...then more work... but the guys here have all the experience in the world... i really recommend looking a Hossmachine website... he is just plain and simple a mad scientist when it comes to this stuff ... he has dvds that outline everty single aspect of doing a g0704 conversion step by step...or in stages... with part numbers...drawings..dimensions... places to purchase... etc etc... it doesnt get much easier than that...

yes it can machine aluminum easily.... steel as well with the proper feeds and speeds....ive even seen the g0704 machining titanium with the stock DC motor.... you just have to stay within the rigidity limits of the machine.
if your needing to machine alot of steel part.... i think the RF45 mill might be a better match for you..thats your call though..

hope that helps

Thanks a lot for your reply, but still I won't get which one have to build. I was been suggested to get like RF 45 type mill, but do you know is their any open source drawings such type CNC milling?
Can you tell what is the meaning of range as you are saying 3500, 5000. Do you mean does it travel range? I am looking out to build that can engrave too on metal plates.