587,534 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Using a router for the 1st time. Need advice of cut speeds, router bits etc.

Threaded View

Using a router for the 1st time. Need advice of cut speeds, router bits etc.

Hi all.

I have a CNC plasma table that can be found over here on this link.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4900

I have just bought a small router today, that I have bolted to the plasma table.

I don't have a clue if this router will be powerfull enough, if I have the right cutting bit etc. I have no idea on what feed speeds to use etc.

The router is a Variable speed, 11,500- 32,000rpm, 650W. It has a 6.35mm(1/4") and 8mm Collet.

First of all I plan to cut MDF and light pine timber.

1. Is this powerfull enough?
    2. I also want to cut aluminium, is it powerfull enough?

I have included photo's below to show you how it is mounted onto the z axis.

The table is powered by dual slaved 1200 oz steppers, one on either side of the table for x. And only 1 270oz stepper for y.

3. Will 270 oz be enough power to rout wood?
    4. ---------------------------to rout aluminium?

I have also included a photo of the router bit that I bought. It is a Tungsten carbide tipped straight cut, 10mm width 1/4" shank.

5. Will this work? I don't think that I will be able to plundge into the timber with this though. I will have to start from the edge.

6. What rpm should I set the router to for cutting mdf?
    7. What feed speed should I set the machine to in mm/min?
    8. How big a depth of cut should I make?

I hope someone can get me started!

Cheers
    Peter
    Australia
    www.supernerd.com.au/~apalais
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650W Router.JPG   Router.JPG   270 Oz Stepper.JPG   Router bit.JPG  

Router bit 2.JPG