I didn't find a too many 4th axis builds when I searched in the past and none of the ones I did find were like this so I thought I would share what I have done.

A 4th axis has been a day dream for a little while now and I am working on a product design that it would be a great help to have a 4th axis when it comes time to prototype the design. I have researched several different options, import rotary table, import super spacer, harmonic drive, used industrial 4th axis. The used industrial unit was my most desirable path and I went and looked at a couple pallets of them that I could have had for $200 each but they were 12" units and just too big and heavy for my machine. The next most favorable was the super spacer based design that Tormach has, in fact my plan was to wait until I had a need for one and just buy a Tormach unit.

A few weeks back I was at the local used tool store when I stumbled upon a used Rutland 8" Super Spacer with a nice 8" 3 jaw chuck and the price was less than half of what a Taiwanese 8" super spacer is going for now. The unit appears to be several years old, by the overall quality of it. All the machining and parts seem to be superior to the quality of current import items. So I bought the super spacer and immediately started working on the CNC conversion.

Attachment 336422
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-24 11.50.47.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	336424

-Dan