Thank you for your sharing of information about your design. The videos are particularly informative. I have a CNC table that is a subset of a Torchmate kit sold by Applied Robotics. I first built this table in 2005 for use in wood sign engraving onto full sheets of plywood when we were living on our horse ranch. This year we sold the ranch and are now living in a house in a town and I have a garage. So the table was reduced from 1100 pounds, 5' x 8' x 14' down to a 5' x 6' gantry / platform instead.

I'm now working with 36" x 48" wood pieces so far and using hot points like irons and nichrome wire to burn into the wood. The results are accurate but not stellar and I need not worry about ever becoming a threat to anyone's livelihood. But the gantry system can use different heads for drills, routers, engravers, and my own version of a pyrographic burner and I'm still experimenting with what I can do with the tool.

And at this point your own work becomes a guide.

I like your use of the J48-1 laser which is what I'd like to duplicate here. Cutting a gear from denim relates to something that I'd like to try here in arts and crafts activities. I have Engravelab Photo Laser software which lets me create inlays and such and using a laser to cut fabrics leads to some possibilities for the Xmas season.

So my questions are ... do you use the UC1000 controller ? And do you use it in pulsed mode for your power control ? What settings burned the wood without the lens ? And did you have to jump through any hoops regarding safety when buying the device ? ( ie ... and certifications / licenses / authorizations that I need to get to buy and use such a device ? )

Thanks in advance for any answers and best regards.

Wil