587,541 active members*
5,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Not Exactly a Benchtop Mill

Threaded View

Not Exactly a Benchtop Mill

I thought you subscribers might enjoy a few pictures of a Burgmaster drill and tap machine I recently finished. These machines are excellent when used manually for accurate drilling,reaming, countersinking and tapping. With a skilled operator they can outwork a $ 200,000.00 machining center on certail types of parts. I now have the best of both worlds in not having to pay for operator time. Using a fixture base and pallets, we can load 6 to 8 parts at a time and let it run.

The tool change takes 1 1/2 seconds. Top X-Y-Z is 55 IPM. It uses the IMserve servos and boards with desk cnc software and controller. Maximum spindle rpm is 5500. Super precision omron home/limit switches allow fast, absolutly accurate start up. The entire head motor assembly moves as a Z axis unit. Indexing is software actuated by a solid state relay and a pneumatic solenoid valve. Spindle and mist coolant are also software driven.

I added a custom built feedback circuit which senses servo fault using a mosfet transistor. The FET opens a relay to force an e-stop. This prevents the secondary functions such as coolant, spindle and index from continuing to run if a servos faults. Lack of a complete system shutdown is a major weakness with most pc driven control products because they do not have servo fault feedback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1443.JPG   DSCF1442.JPG   DSCF1444.jpg   DSCF1445.JPG  

DSCF1447.JPG   DSCF1450.JPG