Hello everyone,

I have some serious questions regarding to choose a sinumerik 840d SL for my new machine.

I have been digging through the information about sinumerik for the past 10 hours and still don't understand what parts I am going to need to drive the machine.

Second I want to be able to program my own macros to perform various functions like unloading or loading the table and such before the CNC takes control. I have been going through numerous control software to see what fits from mach3 to linuxcnc to fanuc and Siemens. I have read that Siemens can be considered the rolls Royce under the controllers so I am inclined to go this way.

BUT I want to build and design the machine itself and understand every part. Using machines is not a problem it is what I have been doing now for 2 years but my company grows and I need to grow along so I need to be able to create my own machines and write postprocessors for it for mastercam. Mastercam so it seems already has a postpro for the sinumerik 840d SL so that helps.

Sorry for the lengthy information but my questions are quite profound.

1. First of all what hardware of Siemens do I need to build the entire controller? I have been reading through everything and kind make it up, sorry if that seems stupid but I am really not.

2. I don't want a screen at the machine, just a computer so how does that work with the sinumerik?

3. What control software should be on the computer to communicate with the sinumerik 840d sl
(Ref to mach3 and Mach3 breakout board for simplicity)

4. What's the deal with the basic packet: sinumerik 840d SL + sinamics120 . Says there can drive up to 6 axis. So how does this connect? I can throwout my leadshine drivers and connect servo to this hardware?

5. Would this packet be enough as controller and drivers of motors? Can the rest be handled by my own PC and 3rd party servo motors?

My budget for this new machine is 12000 USD for just the controllers, motors and lineair guides. Machine size will be workable area 600 by 600 mm, machining aluminium parts.

I really hope someone will go through this and help me with an on-topic answer.

Thanks in advance.

Stephane

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk