Hello, I have been trying to search the net for the answer to this but so far I haven't seemed to find it. I am in need of a very cheap laser engraving setup that can engrave fiberglass. I've been looking around Ebay, etc and I've seen some cheap lasers like the Neje($100) that mark wood fine but I'm not seeing them mark fiberglass. I came across another machine in the $400 range that says it can even lightly engrave metal which would be superb since sometimes I need to mark metal too and right now I'm using an electrolytic/acid process.

Well with buying cheap you get what you pay for so I assume the longevity wouldn't be good. I own a Taig cnc and I was wondering if I can mount a laser to it. I figure this would eliminate a lot of the parts that might fail, and I'd just have to worry about the laser head itself. By not buying the full machine and just the head I could spend the extra on a slightly stronger laser.

When I search for people doing this I keep coming up with people saying its not feasible because of the need to place mirrors, etc. I'm guessing that maybe the laser they wish to mount is a more powerful(CO2?) version than what I am interested in because the cheap Chinese engravers I am seeing don't have much in the way of visible mirrors.

I do not need to cut material, nor do deep marks on metals. I simply need to be able to mark fiberglass, and wood...and if possible lightly mark steel...but thats not essential, just a bonus.

Are these lower powered laser heads a different animal that wouldn't be hard to mount on a cnc mill?

Thank you for any info you can provide!