Hi,

So I am starting my first CNC build on a LMS 3990 minimill. This seems like the proper place to start this thread. (wow there are a lot of subforums...)

I have previously used this as a manual mill and hated it. horrible tappet type gibbs. poor ergonomics. so thats why i'm converting it to CNC. hopefully itll be useful then with better ball screws and stepper motion.

I bit the bullet and bought the FusionCNC kit. I read someone's horror story hear of waiting over a year, but I sent them an email before I sent paypal and was happy I got an immediate response. Hopefully it works out...

I have broken down the process from starting CAD to machined part and am finding there are lot of costs involved.... about $1800, not including CAM software and the mill. I'd like to know if some of the cheaper options are better or if its really worth going with ESS+Mach3+G540, etc.

Is TinyG an option? The specs say its 2.5A limited. I'm looking to use 3.5A steppers. Is this really more for 2.5+ routers? whats 2.5+ really mean anyway? Im assuming mostly XY and Z is there to occasionally set height.

I read thru another beginner build thread and LinuxCNC was advocated but I really don't know anything about Linux and all that Linux related talk is turning me off.

I'm looking to machine aluminum billet and plates. no steel. delrin and polycarb, sure.

Anyway, heres my break down: Prices are current on automationtechnologies website.

Create CAD File: Solidworks I am mainly proficient in this anyway, I use it professionally as a ME.
Create CAM instructions: HSMXpress Free -found this doing research, is this a no brainer since its free and works within SW?
Post CAM Processer HSMXpress Free

Computer - old laptop from Vista vintage.

Ethernet-Parallel Port Ethernet Smooth Stepper $170.99 -I don't have an old PC, I have old laptops. Then again, buying a used PC+parallel port is probably cheaper than this. But I read there are good performance benefits using this?

CNC Control Software Lic Mach 3 $149.00 -I'll try the free version first, but from here it seems im committed to it if I use a G540.

Gecko + 48V/12.5A PSU Enclosure $549.95 -ok, it looks like I could probably save on NOT buying this bundle. How important is an enclosure for it all anyway? I think id rather machine my own enclosure actually. Is the 600W/12.5A PSU overkill? the 350W PSU is cheap at $35.

Stepper Motors KL23H2100-35-4B w/ cable x3 $164.85 -I like the idea of not soldering myself, but John? said they don't put resistors in the connector for you.... that seemed lame.

CNC Conversion Ballscrews CNC Fusion kit #5 $655.00 -so the only other option is the Turkish guy? is that a better option anyway?
Helical Shaft Coupler 1/4-1/4 x3 $72.00 -do they throw in the couplers with their kits? doesn't read so, kinda lame to buy them separately.

Little Machine Shop 3990. again, this sucks as a manual mill. the idea is to dump more money to make it useful. seems silly when I read it out like that....

Is going down this somewhat expensive path worthwhile in the end? Thanks.

Tyson