Quote Originally Posted by gradient View Post
How about running PP 2.0 natively on a PC in simulation mode? (no hardware connection). I got PP-1.9.13 working in simulation mode on a stand-alone laptop by making the file modifications mentioned elsewhere on this site but haven't been so lucky with PP-2.0. Looks like it has to do with convincing PP that the laptop is running Virtual Box. I looked at the operator_login script but wasn't able to convince the program to run in simulation mode for the mill. Any help would be appreciated. It's really nice to be able to try my home-brew g-code programs at home before crashing the real mill at work.
I was running PP 1.9.8 in a VM under parallels (on a mac) and was able to install PP 2.0, but I had to create an ISO file from the USB Drive it shipped on and then install it from that. Once you get it installed, PP 2.0 runs even smoother under sim mode than 1.9.8 did. I think they tweaked a couple of things. First, the zeroing (referencing) seems better. I had to turn off the homing switches before, but now it works correctly right out of the box. Also, the mill lathe selection screen appears when you start it up each time. All of the functions work, including the update over the internet, so now you don't have to fool around with mounting USB drives on your VM. It has been quite handy being able to experiment with the conversational tabs in my office, as well as testing Fusion 360 code.