Have some 0.280" punches in C frames that I have been using in a manual press for a while - perhaps 500 - 1000 parts. This is a low use application Am having trouble with material (0.030 - 0.040 aluminum) hanging up on the punches and lube helps some but doesn't eliminate the issue. They originally had very stiff springs that required as much or more pressure than my punching and I had trouble getting enough pressure for several punches at a time so replaced the springs with ones of about half the force. I looked at the worst punch and die under magnification and was surprised to see the punch had small scratches around the tip and going up the body like it was always like that and not fully polished - very small but still there. The edge of the punch is rounded a bit in a few spots which may be wear from prior use (got them used). I can grind a bit off the length to renew the edge but would also like to polish them up to reduce sticking. Any recommendations on how to proceed with either of these operations? I am hoping I can polish the diameter without increasing the clearance significantly. I have access to some tool grinding equipment but not sure exactly what equipment is available to me - will check later this week. Or I could spin them with a lathe and polish them with very fine emery paper or polishing compound.

I have some slightly larger punches that use a different mounting, different manufacturer and the punches are highly polished. No trouble with those dry and a urethane tube to push the part off.