Ok so I'm getting ready to buy my first VMC. Looking for a Haas VF-2 ~95-00, preferably as new as possible. My budget is ~$18k for the machine only - will be gathering tools as I go.

I've been offered a 99 VF-0E at~$20k incl. a 4th axis HRT210. Its got the Vector dual drive, 710IPM, brushless servos. Would I be making a mistake in choosing a VF-0E over a VF-2? Its belt driven, so I guess its not as powerful as the two speed gearbox' VF-2s at low rpm. In my research I find that VF-0Es incl. 4th axis are priced approximately the same as a similar year VF-2 without a 4th axis.

Is the 4th axis really necessairy? Im under the impression that many shop environments never use them, they just having them laying around.

Main purpose of the machine is prototyping and small series production as a hobby; Im a MSc. mechanical engineer. Main reason Im going straight to a Haas is I dont want to be stuck with a underpowered Tormach that I will outgrow after a year.

Im going to be producing molds for sand casting, prototypes etc. Similar to this intake manifold project I did during my last years at uni:

andreasriseng's Library | Photobucket

Andreas