I'm upgrading my router, swapping out the steppers for ClearPath Servos, ATC spindle, UCCNC, etc.

One of the things I wanted to change was that when powered off, my spindle would drop due to weight. Not a huge deal, but I'd like to correct that.

I purchased a Inertia Dynamics 24v brake, MPC23 model, off eBay (maybe that's the problem) that interfaces between the server and Z ball screw. It works fine at very low speed, but if I increase the speed, I'm getting resonance or binding.

I've swapped out the brake and connected the servo directly to the Z ball screw and it moves very smooth. That narrows it down to the brake.

The brake I purchased has a C face which makes the whole thing very easy to assemble. I took the case apart and inside is model 1702-0038 brake which I can't seem to find any record of anywhere.

I'm looking for suggestions...

Leave the brake off?
Try and replace the internal brake part?

Or does anyone have experience with these type of brakes?? Are they smooth running at higher speeds?

***I should point out that I've also got a air cylinder counter balance that works to keep the spindle from dropping. The brake is a redundant backup in case of air pressure loss while the machine is powered down.***