Quote Originally Posted by Erik F View Post
I get exactly what you are saying and it does make more sense and is a better long term solution. The leveling screws are a good idea. Would you put them on both sides of the rail or just one side? I am picturing on both? This would give you total stand off in areas that are real out of wack.
You would want to use plates with leveling screws on both sides. I believe that would be an easier solution than trying to make one side match the unmodified other side. Also, you have the dishing in the frame tubing to deal with. Leveling plates on both sides would take care of the dishing issue on both sides.

I'd go with what's called a "dog point" set screw for leveling. It has a flat bottom, which won't dig in over time. I've also commented before about using a filler under the plates to avoid deflection. Once the rails are where you want them, you inject the specialized epoxy under the plates. To make the plates removable, you can coat the screws and bottom side of the plate with a release agent. It would be a fussy process. You would probably want to use some sort of machine leveling epoxy grout. You might also be able to make up a suitable epoxy with something like a West System product and fillers, which would probably be a whole lot cheaper (as if any epoxy is cheap ). I'd do a lot of experimenting to make sure I could confidently pull it off.

Keep in mind that this solution is nothing like trying to level the frame with epoxy. From what I can tell, few, if any, have succeeded in the effort. Just looking at the way the epoxy goes down looks like a recipe for failure. I briefly considered it for the Saturn I sent back, but pretty quickly discarded it. I question the wisdom of trying to use epoxy as a mounting surface for linear rails in any event. I would worry that over time the epoxy might distort. With the above-proposed method, the set screws are doing the heavy lifting. The epoxy is only used in a 'supporting role', so to speak.

One other thing to think about. when using set screw for leveling and fixing screws to hold everything in place. If the fixing screws aren't tight enough, the plate will move. If too tight, the plate can distort (unless you were to use for set screws at each fixing screw). Striking the right balance could be a tricky proposition. Hopefully, an epoxy filler would mitigate or eliminate the potential problem.

Gary