I did the sliced nut trick once too. Back whenI used the Roton ball screws with single nuts, it was quite hard to get no backlash with the screws being all over the place in diameter.

I sliced a nut along one side with a tile saw, worked really well for hard stuff.

I then added over size balls. That was a fail because the balls would hit the grove and hang up. I then put the nut in a vice and compressed it so it was tight with the stock balls. This was a bit of a trick to not get it too small. Killed a few nuts. I still have the nut on a screw, never put it into service.

I still see a few places where this might be the best way to go. On a router table where you want low backlash with high speed and low drag. With a single nut you could set the preload with the "spring" system and even use less balls like two rows of the 3 rows of balls.

For the light loads of a router you would get low friction and vary high speeds with no backlash.

A few companies make nuts like that.

For the loads of a metal mill double nuts are still the easiest way to get low lash.