Hi everyone,
I cant decide whether to go fixed gantry or fixed table, but first a little story time!

About half a year ago i decided to build a CNC myself.
I started reading lots of good information online... Turns out CNCs are pretty complex.
My first idea that it would cost about 200$ and mill metal was very quickly pulverised.
The longer i kept reading the more i began to understand how all the precesions and rigidness of the structure add on the price size and weight.
slowly rising the budget until i feel like i could possibly get it to work. (I might still be too naive and thats why im here)

Currently i am in the pre-design phase, where i think about what i actually want before i start creating it in fusion 360.
Here is a list of answers to unasked questions that might help you in helping me decide.

- Budget somewhere 1000-6000$ (i prefer a good value rather than cheapest)
- Id like to build it myself in order to learn everything about it and be able to to any reparations or upgrades myself, its a cool project
- I expect to spend about 2-3 years on this build
- Id love to mill tool steel (of course not hardened), I will also do a lot of milling on aluminium, G10 and wood. I understand steel is tough but if the price is low then having a CNC that deals with aluminium easily is also a success.
- From steel i would cut out shapes (eg. horrible waterjet replacement), mill it flat and do lots of engraving.

- Size
- At first i wanted to have a small one (400x400mm) but seeing as the price doesnt change much and that larger sizes are much more capable i am currently thinking about 1000x600mm (Open to discussion)
- i dont have any garage or any dedicated hobby room yet and moving is very probable so i need to be able to get it through a door. Or even up the stairs.
- This also limits the weight as i need to be able to carry with 3-4 people max.,Ideally the table and the machine would be possible to disassemble in order to have lighter pieces but thats a topic for another day

- Future planned upgrades: 4th axis, vacuum table
- havent thought about water cooling of milled material or electronics much but i like servos

- Tools i have at my current disposal are a handheld drill, some files and sandpaper The design will have to be solid enough so that i can get all parts manufactured and assemble it without many changes (welding is a big questionmark)

So with knowing all that:
Fixed table:
+ Can fit for example an entire sheet of metal in the 1000mm space with undefined length
+ Better used space (my space is limited)
+ More common DIY design
+ Moves a stable amount of weight
+ better for 4th axis or vacuum table (or any other table accesories really)
+ Easier to design in a way thats disassembled from the table, at least i think. a moving table needs some square and large table to put the rails on

Movable table
+ More rigid
+ Probably easier to put together (squaring and adjusting the ball screw seems easier than with a moving gantry where the ball screw cant be in the middle)

I dont want to give up space and usefulness of a fixed table
I dont want to give up rigidness considering my goal
Basically its a question of "Can a DiY fixed table CNC be rigid enough to mill steel"?

Thank you everyone for your input,
i want to start designing but cant decide what to go for.