I want to buy a CNC router for hobby use in my garage and researching my options. Considering Avid machines like Benchtop Pro 2x3 or Pro 4x2, Camaster Stinger I 2x3 or 2x4 or Shopsabre 23. Avid CNC routers with their plug and play electronic kits (Nema 34 and spindle) + switches and such for complete system, brings the price to the level of Camaster and Shopsabre machines. what could be better?
I want to work with wood and aluminum (thick plates) and other various materials. I know routers are not that precise as CNC milling machines, but I want to get maximum precision for such machines. Besides I will upgrade to 4th (rotary) axes in future as time and money allow.
Turnkey machines (Camaster and Shopsabre) come ready to use even with preconfigured PC and software, but no spindle, just with 3HP routers at that level of price. It is not clear if it easy to upgrade to a spindle in future without buying one from manufacturer, as they are QUITE expensive. Thinking, to add one of better chinese made spindle with good VFD, but do not know if it's possible to configure WinCNC software to control it. I do not worry about mechanical mounting. The same WInCNC question about adding shop made rotary attachment. With Avid CNCs it looks more open to those concerns, as you have to buy all software like G-Code processor with smooth-stepper card and CAM (which is included in other packages) on you own (and pay more). Avid requires assembly and careful tuning, which is time consuming and better done with good measurement equipment to achieve maximum precision.
What are you opinions and advises would be? Is AVID CNC still better option?