Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
btw: many new air compressors I see are 155 psi now with a 120 psi cycle low. I replaced my old one with a new 155 psi unit and I have pdb set to just release tool at the max psi setting of 120 psi advised by tormach.
I've been eyeballing eastwood's baby scroll compressor for a while. I want that thing real bad but it's hard to justify $1500ish when the unit I have now is in perfect working order. Someday I will sell it off for whatever I can get out of it and put that money towards an upgrade but there are a few other things I want more than a new compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
A newbie who thinks that they can just by a tormach and start a business doing contract work will probably find they bought a pipe dream
I may or may not have been perfectly described by that sentence a little over a year ago. I've since learned just how much I don't know and my perception of reality has changed dramatically as a result. I originally bought the machine to make parts for myself instead of paying others to make them. In the process of buying and setting up, I decided that contract work would be easy and would help offset the cost of the machine. Now I make parts for myself and prototypes for my employer on occasion and I am happy with that. I still hope one day to bring in some contract work and I do casually look for it here and there but last week I did my first real "production" run of parts for my employer. 100 parts in one day and I was SMOKED at the end of it. Better or different workholding would have made a big difference but that wasn't an option so I did what needed to be done. After that, I have no desire to run long jobs on my machine. I enjoy the process of programming, fixturing, and making chips but when I get to the point of standing in front of the machine all day cranking out the same part over and over, I lose interest pretty quick.

Oh, and as for those other toys. No more two strokes in my garage anymore but the big italian v-twins will still land me in a world of physical and legal hurt if I don't behave myself