587,306 active members*
3,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 06 VF-2 side milling surface finish issues in one axis

Threaded View

06 VF-2 side milling surface finish issues in one axis

Hey guys. I have been chasing this issue for a few months and I figure I should ask this group as I am sure someone has seen this before, The machine is an 06 VF-2D with a 7500rpm spindle. A little history. I bought the machine used almost a year ago from a broker in California. Looked great on the Facetime call and its super clean, so I pulled the trigger. Once it landed I got it placed, leveled, wired and ready to run. On the first cutting pass, I discovered the spindle was completely clapped out. .090 of vertical slop. Seller split a new spindle with me. I find out it was a tool room machine since new at Iscar. So I am sure this thing was run hard and put away wet every day of its existence. I bought a new spindle from HFO along with new drive belts and encoder belt. I get everything installed and now have the confidence the spindle is perfect. After a the first day of using the machine, I notice in direction changes in X, its a little clunky. Long story short, I go down the rabbit hole and replace the X and Y balls crews and couplers. Now I have a nice quiet tight machine that makes dimensionally perfect parts. The only thing I am left with is a funky side milling finish while cutting in the X direction. So I am constantly thinking about, what happened to damage the spindle originally and how could this potentially be a part of what I am experiencing now? Must have been a gnarly Z crash. I have asked some other machinists I know who have had years of experience making parts on Haas machines and everyone is scratching their heads. I am hoping someone here can look at this short video I have attached and have an answer. The less than perfect surface is from cutting in the X axis and the near perfect finish is the Y. This test is a contour moving around the part. Its being side milled with a G Shultz Alumigator 1/2 finisher in a hydraulic holder. I am wondering if this could be an X way/truck issue, or possibly even a drive/ motor issue? To recap, older machine leveled perfectly, not backlash at all in X and Y, bottom cutting and Y side milling are perfect, new balls screws and couplinge, thrust bearings, new spindle/draw bar assembly, belts, etc. I couldnt get the video to upload, so I hope these pics tell the story.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0779 (1).jpg   IMG_0780 (1).jpg