Hi all,

I have a 6040 CNC which I've had a for a while and it's taken me a long time to get it up and running for various reasons, but in the last 6 months it's been running (now and then I only use it when I have to cut carbon fibre). I don't use it every day nor even every week.

Anyway I've removed the old control system that came with it and now runs the following:

ESS Smoothstepper
Gecko G540
48v Power Supply (for Gecko/Steppers)
Steppers are 57HD5401-14S/8 1.8* 3.0A (Originals that came with machine)

Now last week I was cutting a bunch of carbon one day and the next day did a large piece which took about 4 hours to cut during which time the X Stepper reached 130 degrees C (~266F I believe). Which is probably a little too hot.

The day after that I tried to go and cut a couple more pieces and the X stepper now seems to stall when I try to job or move the machine at any reasonable speed. it seems to be ok t low speed but as I job faster or move at the cutting speeds I've been using it stalls.

The question (eventually) is, is this due to the stepper motor magnets over heating or motor overheating?

Everything else on the system stayed the same, the G540 temp was just warm during the long cuitting job, everything else seemed ok.

Thanks,
Tony