Hi all,

I'm new to milling metal on a CNC and am trying to figure out what I can do to improve times and boost profitability for the company. The problem is, my boss isn't very interested in having the CNCs around and only wants to use them to help out with the manual machining side of the shop in such a way that he can continue to bill at that rate. Essentially, he wants to use the CNCs as if they're just another manual machine and bill as such. He's older and if it wasn't for the owner of the company, these machines wouldn't be here. Their main purpose is to execute orders for the owner in a timely manner. I've proposed contacting some of our suppliers and getting better tools to improve cutting times drastically, and his response has basically been to tell me that making it faster cuts into the bottom line. To me, that doesn't make sense, because if we can do more work, we should be making more money, right? Am I missing something? Any advice for dealing with this situation? Is it better to stay quiet and let him run the show the way he sees fit? I feel like, in doing so, I'm voluntarily allowing a ship to sink when I could potentially make it exponentially more profitable than it currently is. I'm interested in growth and expansion and learning, not staying stagnant and doing the same old **** just because it's what we've always done.

We currently run 2 Fadal VMC 3016Ls and SolidWorks software. I'm enrolled in the Essentials classes for both the CAD and CAM sides of the software.

Thanks in advance.